Serves 4 as a starter or light lunch
1 very fresh, sushi-grade large tuna steak
1 avocado, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Taste #5 Umami Bomb
- Put the tuna in the freezer for a few minutes before starting. This will make the tuna firm up and be easier to cut.
- In the meantime, peel the avocado and cut into small 1cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Remove the tuna from the freezer and chop into same sized pieces as the avocado. Put into a bowl and mix in the Umami Bomb, olive oil, another good squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Using a stainless steel ring spoon a bit of the avocado mixture onto the plate to make the first layer. Press gently down on the avocado with a spoon to make sure it holds its shape. Then, add a layer of the tuna mixture on top, pressing down on that gently too.
- Remove the stainless steel ring and top with arugula or micro herbs if you can find them.
NOTE: This dish is just as delicious with salmon or any firm fish – just make sure it is sushi-grade fresh.