This is an iconic Italian antipasto which portrays the colours of the Italian flag; red, white and green. It is so simple that the impact of this dish is really down to the quality of the ingredients; try and buy a selection of heritage tomatoes, all different shapes and colours, invest in a good mozzarella di bufala, and use a really good extra virgin olive oil – it will be worth it I assure you.
Serves 2 for lunch
450g (16oz) tomatoes
110g (4oz) buffallo mozzarella
handful of basil
extra virgin olive oil
Taste #5 Umami Rush
- Slice any large tomatoes. Half or quarter any smaller or cherry tomatoes.
- Arrange on a serving plate.
- Tear up the mozzarella and arrange on top of the tomatoes.
- Pick some basil leaves and arrange on top of the dish.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and a generous sprinkling of Umami Rush.