A SPECIAL PREVIEW FROM "AT HOME WITH UMAMI" | 2015 • Ryland, Peters & SmallMy nickname for this is “handbag heaven” and that is because although it is delicious for breakfast with thick Greek yogurt, mango, avocado, a handful of chopped coriander and a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, it is equally fabulous on soups, salads and vegetables… But where I seem to eat the most, is from the bottom of my handbag and needless to say that would be in-between meals…
90g / 1 cup rolled oats
60g / ½ cup shelled pistachios
60g / ½ cup walnuts, roughly quartered
60g / ½ cup sunflower seeds
40g / 3 Tbsp sesame seeds
½ tbsp fennel seeds
½ tbsp coriander seeds
20g cacao nibs
¼ or ½ tsp cayenne pepper (depending how hot you like it)
3-4 sprigs of rosemary, leaves only, roughly chopped
1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350˚F
- Combine the oats, nuts, seeds and cacao nibs in a large bowl. Sprinkle over the cayenne pepper, salt, rosemary and lemon zest and give a good mix.
- Next add the olive oil, maple syrup, soy sauce, and mix thoroughly again.
- Finally mix in the beaten egg white and combine.
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 - 20minutes, stirring a couple of times, until just nicely golden brown. Keep a close eye on the mixture as the seeds can burn very quickly. If you like you can add a sprinkling of salt, but I find them super tasty just the way it is.
"At Home With Umami" by Laura Santtini is now available from Amazon.com and all quality book stores. Images by Con Poulos, courtesy of Ryland Peters.