A SPECIAL PREVIEW FROM "AT HOME WITH UMAMI" | 2015 • Ryland, Peters & Small
150ml / 2/3 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 fresh red chillies/chiles, deseeded and finely chopped,
or 1/2 teaspoon chilli/hot red pepper flakes
600 g / 4 cups fresh cherry tomatoes, halved lengthways
4 tablespoons drained and roughly chopped stoned/pitted black olives in olive oil
(choose Kalamata or Taggiasche)
2 tablespoons capers, drained
5 anchovies in oil, drained and roughly chopped
handful of basil leaves, torn
freshly ground black pepper
400 g / 3 1/2 oz. dried spaghetti
zest of 1 lemon
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and sauté the garlic and chillies/chiles until the garlic begins to colour
- Stir in all other ingredients, except for the lemon zest and season with black pepper (the olives, capers and anchovies will probably make it salty enough)
- Allow to simmer gently on a low heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to break down. If the tomatoes are too acidic, balance with a pinch of sugar.
- Cook the spaghetti in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente.
- Place the sauce in a large serving bowl with lemon zest, drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss and serve.