150g (5oz) fresh broad (fava) beans
vegetable oil for deep-frying
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 eggs, beaten
handful of panko breadcrumbs
Taste #5 Umami Rush
- Shell the broad/fava beans.
- Pour the oil into a heavy saucepan to a depth of 2.5cm and put on to a medium heat.
- Put some flour in a shallow bowl, the beaten egg in another and the breadcrumbs in a third. Coat the beans first in the flour, then in egg and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Deep-fry the coated beans in the hot oil until golden brown, and then drain.
- Sprinkle with the Umami Rush to taste and serve while still hot.
Note: This also works well with edamame beans.
This recipe was kindly devised by Nobu Matsuhisa.