1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
3oz unsalted butter, plus more for dish
2½ cups milk
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 teaspoons Taste #5 Umami Bomb
2½ cups Cheddar, grated
1 cup Gruyère, grated
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1lb pound macaroni pasta
- Butter a large casserole dish; set aside. Place breadcrumbs in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Pour butter into the bowl with breadcrumbs, and toss. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk, remaining butter and flour. Gradually bring to simmering point, whisking continuously, until the sauce becomes thickened and smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, Umami Bomb, two thirds of the Cheddar and Gruyère, reserving the rest for topping later. Set aside.
- Preheat the broiler to medium-high.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 2 minutes fewer than the manufacturer's directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands cook at different rates; be sure to read the directions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander and drain well.
- Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle over the remaining Cheddar and Gruyère, then scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Place the dish under the broiler for 8-10 minutes, or until bubbling and the breadcrumbs and cheese are browned.
- Let the dish stand for 5 minutes before serving.