1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved and cut into ¼ inch slices
2½ cups milk
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Taste #5 Umami Bomb
kosher salt and white pepper
1 cup breadcrumbs
½ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Toss the squash slices in a little oil to coat and put on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile make the white sauce: Place the milk, flour and butter in a medium saucepan. Gradually bring to simmering point, whisking continuously, for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce becomes thick and smooth.
- Reduce the heat to low, and allow the sauce to cook very gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season the sauce with the Umami Bomb, a small grating of nutmeg (if using), salt and a pinch of white pepper.
- Once the squash is ready, remove from the oven and turn on the broiler.
- Transfer the squash to a baking dish and pour over the sauce. Top with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes until golden brown.