300g (10.5oz) assorted fish and seafood like squid rings and prawns, or mixed vegetables, cut into bite-sized pieces
oil for deep-frying
200ml (1 cup) ice-cold water
1 egg yolk
100g (1 cup) plain flour, plus more for dusting
Taste #5 Umami Rush
lime or lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil for deep-frying to about 180°C (350°F).
- While the oil heats up, put the ice-cold water in a medium-sized bowl and mix in the egg yolk. Add the flour and gently stir in, but do not whisk (it’s fine if there are still some dry lumps of flour in the mix).
- Dust the fish or vegetables with some more flour and then put the pieces into the batter mixture and coat them well, shaking off any excess.
- As they are coated, carefully place them, a small batch at a time, into the hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until crisp and nicely coloured.
- Carefully remove the pieces when they are golden and drain on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with Umami Rush and serve with lime or lemon wedges.
This recipe was kindly devised by Nobu Matsuhisa.