1½ oz of butter
1 medium yellow onion, very finely chopped
2 cups arborio rice
1 glass of dry white wine
1 liter hot chicken or vegetable stock, or 2 stock cubes dissolved in 1 liter of boiling water
¾ cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Bomba! XXX Tomato Paste
½ stick cold butter cut into small cubes
FOR THE KALE PESTO
3 large handfuls kale, stalks removed
1 large handful basil
1½oz pine nuts, toasted
½ cup Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a heavy bottomed pan, sauté the onion in the butter until soft. Add the rice and coat until transparent.
- Add the wine and stir until it has evaporated. Add a ladleful of the hot stock and simmer and stir. As the stock is absorbed add more stock when necessary, taking care to stir throughout (this releases the starch from the rice and make the risotto extra creamy).
- Continue adding ladle after ladle of stock and stirring for about 18 minutes until rice is soft, tender and creamy but the grains are still al dente in the center.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto by putting all the ingredients into a food processor and whizz to a paste. Season to taste.
- When the risotto is ready, remove from heat and beat in two generous tablespoons of Bomba, Parmesan cheese and a knob of cold butter. Add a good grinding of black pepper, test for seasoning and serve.