If you follow these few tips, we promise they will be better than you've had at the most expensive restaurant.
- Dry them well.
Get the grill or pan super hot.
Don't crowd them.
Once they are down, leave them for a full minute
Lift up to check, If they're gorgeously seared, flip.
Just another 1-2 minutes and et voilà perfection!
FOR THE SCALLOPS
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 large sea scallops, side muscle removed
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
FOR THE GREMOLATA
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
1 garlic clove, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
splash of olive oil
kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a non-reactive bowl, combine all the ingredients for the gremolata, cover and chill. May be made up to one day ahead.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Toss scallops to just lightly coat. Place on a plate and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Place scallops on the grill, flat side down.
- Grill 2 minutes per side until lightly charred and cooked through.
- Plate and serve with the gremolata.
NOTE: Do not overcook or the scallops will be rubbery and tough.