Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter
FOR THE FISHCAKES
450g (1lb) any white fish such as cod, snapper, hake
2 teaspoons fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 spring onions (scallions), very finely sliced into rounds
2 heaped tablespoons Thai red curry paste
1 green chilli, deseeded and very finely chopped
3 teaspoons Taste #5 Umami Paste Vegetarian Far Eastern Recipe
oil for frying
FOR THE SAUCE
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons runny honey
1 teaspoon Taste #5 Umami Paste Vegetarian Far Eastern Recipe
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Place all the ingredients for the fish cakes apart from the oil in a food processor, and blend until you have a finely minced texture (don’t blend it too fine though). Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- With your hands form balls about 4 cm in diameter (1½ inches) and put them onto a plate. Chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to allow them to firm up.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Place all the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil on a high heat. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- When you are ready to eat, remove the fishcakes from the refrigerator. Squash each one down slightly to make little patty shapes.
- Fry the fishcakes in a small amount of oil, for about 1-2 minutes each side, or until just beginning to brown. Drain on kitchen paper, and serve with the sauce.