FOR THE FISH STICKS
1 piece of salmon fillet, approximately 500g (18oz)
65g (½ cup) flour
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons Taste #5 Umami Paste Vegetarian Far Eastern Recipe
50g (1.7oz) Parmesan, grated
100g (3.5oz) panko breadcrumbs
FOR THE TARTARE SAUCE
250ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
4 tablespoons small capers, drained
4 tablespoons gherkins, drained and finely chopped
1 small shallot, very finely chopped
squeeze of lemon juice
1 teaspoon Taste #5 Umami Paste Vegetarian Far Eastern Recipe
3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- You can make the sauce first by combining all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Set aside or refrigerate if you decide to make well in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Rinse the salmon and pat dry. Cut the fish into equal sized pieces around 8cm (3 inch) by 2.5cm (1 inch).
- Place the flour in a medium bowl and season with the salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites together with the umami paste.
- In a third bowl combine the Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Coat the salmon pieces, one at a time, in the seasoned flour, then the egg white and then the breadcrumb and Parmesan mixture, gently pressing into the fish.
- Place the breaded salmon onto an oiled baking sheet and sprinkle a little oil over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve with the tartare sauce.