Try this preparation in a cast iron skillet on a very hot grill for a deliciously smoky variation!
3 pounds cultivated mussels, debearded, rinsed and scrubbed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Bomba! XXX
1 cup white wine
1 handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Make sure the mussels are clean and any beards removed. Discard any that are open and stay open when tapped.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large pan which has a lid.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now stir in the Bomba, then add the wine and leave to simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the mussels and ½ cup of water to the pan. Give the pan a good shake, cover and leave to bubble for 5 minutes or until all the mussels have opened.
- Divide the mussels between serving bowls, ensuring to remove any mussels that have not opened. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
TO COOK ON A GRILL
Use a heavy cast iron skillet. Preheat grill with skillet on grill. Add oil and then stir in onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper. Stir in Bomba and wine. Close grill for 2-3 minutes. Open and add 1/2 cup water and the mussels and toss mussels with cooking liquid and onions. Close grill for 3-4 minutes. Stir the mussels for and close grill for another 3-4 minutes. Remove skillet and transfer mussels to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Discard any that haven't opened.