1 pound cultivated mussels debearded, rinsed and scrubbed
2/3 cup sake
4 tablespoons Taste #5 Umami Bomb
4 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
4 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
Handful of chopped parsley and/or chives
- Make sure the mussels are clean and any beards removed. Discard any that are open and stay open when tapped.
- Mix the sake with the Umami Bomb, garlic and ginger in a bowl.
- Place a large saucepan that has a tight-fitting lid over a high heat and when good and hot, put the mussels in, then add the sake mixture and cover tightly with the lid. Steam for 3-4 minutes.
- When the mussels are cooked the shells should have opened. Remove and discard any mussels that have failed to open.
- Place the mussels and juice in a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped parsley or chives.
This recipe was kindly devised by Nobu Matsuhisa