I have long been a fan of roasting kale but it has become increasingly popular over the last year or so. This is due to kale being low in fat and calories and very high in nutrients. Lots of shops are now selling kale chips pre-packed but it is much cheaper just to make your own at home – and very easy too.
Serves 4-6 as a snack
400g (14oz) kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon Taste #5 Umami Rush
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Rinse the kale and dry thoroughly. Remove and discard the thick stalks and roughly chop the leaves. Pat the leaves dry again.
- In a large bowl toss the kale together with olive oil, garlic and Umami Rush. Spread onto a baking sheet - note that it doesn’t have to be in a single layer as it will shrink as it cooks.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring every five minutes, until the leaves are tender and slightly browned with crispy edges.
- Transfer to a serving dish and finish with another sprinkling of Umami Rush for extra deliciousness.