From outdoor grill to a grill pan on the range with an assortment of vegetables like asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers of all kinds, onions, mushrooms with a quick dressing made of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, fresh herbs and some acid from vinegar or lemon juice it couldn’t be simpler! Whether served as an antipasto, a side with simply grilled meats, or as the meal itself with some crusty bread and polenta, there is truly nothing as gloriously delicious and easy.
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon Taste #5 Umami Bomb (or) Taste #5 Vegetarian paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
2 small eggplant
2 red bell peppers
2 yellow bell peppers
4 small zucchini
2 medium red onions
small bunch of asparagus
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- Heat a gas grill or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, pepper flakes and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cut the zucchini and yellow squash into 1/4 inch thick slices lengthwise
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices lengthwise
- Cut peppers into quarters and remove cores and seeds
- Cut onions across into 1/4 inch thick round slices
- Using a large bowl toss the vegetables with enough of the dressing to lightly coat
- Arrange vegetables on a large baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt
- Cook the vegetables over medium to medium high heat until just tender and slightly charred on both sides about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove cooked vegetables from the grill back to the baking sheet.
- Arrange vegetables on a large serving platter and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
- Garnish with the lemon zest and basil
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can grill almost any vegetable like carrots, parsnips, leeks, scallions and many other vegetables. You can grill corn off the cob, fava beans and other fresh summer beans by placing a sheet of aluminum foil that's been coated with a bit of cooking spray right on the grill to enjoy the benefits of the direct heat and smoke.
Cheese is a deliciously fantastic addition, you might add shaved percorino or parmesan, chunks of feta or grilled slices of haloumi.
These vegetables can be made ahead and refrigerated.
Remove and allow to come to room temperature.