Taking the humble leek and grilling it in its own skin gives the interior a deliciously sweet and tender taste. Adding Umami Bomb makes this an even greater taste explosion! For extra umami you could add a sprinkling of my Taste #5 Umami Rush on top…
Serves 2 as a starter or side dish
2 large leeks
2 tablespoons Taste #5 Umami Bomb
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1-2 teaspoons sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) grapeseed oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (420°F).
- Rinse the leeks thoroughly and cut off the root ends and the tops to leave long straight pieces. Place on an oven rack and roast until charred on the outside, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by whisking together the Umami Bomb, vinegar, sugar and grapeseed oil.
- Remove the leeks from the oven and with a sharp knife, make a shallow score lengthwise down each leek to enable the outside charred skin to be prised away from the inner parts. Cut each of the tender insides of across into 5-6 pieces.
- Place each leek, with its charred exterior under it, in a serving bowl and spoon the dressing over the top.