8 long, thick green asparagus spears
for the umami tomato sauce
2 ripe tomatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
¼ - ½ teaspoon dried chilli
2 tablespoons Taste #5 Umami Paste Vegetarian Far Eastern Recipe
- First make the sauce: blanch the tomatoes for about a minute in boiling water and then peel away the skins. Chop the flesh coarsely.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and briefly sweat the onion, garlic and dried chilli.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until half the liquid has gone. Stir in the umami paste.
- To make the asaparagus pasta trim the asparagus, breaking off the woody stalk end. Then, using a potato peeler or mandolin grater, cut the spears lengthways into thinnish slices.
- Quickly sauté these in a frying pan until tender but still slightly crunchy.
- Add the sauce and toss together. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan if you wish but it is not necessary.
Note: You can use courgettes ( zucchini ) instead of asparagus if you prefer.
This recipe was kindly devised by Nobu Matsuhisa.