1 tablespoon olive oil suitable for pan-frying
2 x 250g (8oz) ribeye steaks, at room temperature
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE SAUCE
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon brandy
2 tablespoons green peppercorns in brine, drained (or 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns, crushed with a knife)
125ml (½ cup) double cream (heavy cream)
1 teaspoon Taste #5 Umami Paste Vegetarian Far Eastern Recipe
- Take the steaks out of the refrigerator a good while before you intend on cooking them to allow them to come up to room temperature.
- When ready to cook, rub the olive oil on both steaks and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put a frying pan over a high heat until smoking. Add steaks and cook to your liking. Remove from the pan and set aside on a warm plate to rest.
- Turn down the heat and add the butter to the pan with the garlic and the brandy. Cook for 1 minute. Add the peppercorns, cream, and umami paste. Simmer for a further minute.
- Pour the sauce immediately over the steaks and serve with French fries and watercress.