1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
2 0z unsalted butter, plus more for dish
2 ½ cups milk
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons Taste #5 Umami Bomb paste
2 ½ cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 lb macaroni pasta
- Butter a large casserole dish and set aside. Place breadcrumbs in a medium bowl.
- Over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan.
- Pour over breadcrumbs and toss to coat evenly. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, heat milk in a medium saucepan heat milk, remaining butter and flour. Gradually bring to a simmer, whisking constantly until sauce becomes thickened and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayeene, Umami Bomb paste, two thirds of the cheeses, reserving the rest for later as a topping.
- Preheat broiler to medium-high.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to boil. Cook the macaroni for two minutes less than the directions. It will be slightly underdone. Drain the macaroni in a colander.
- Combine the drained macaroni and cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle reserved cheese over the top, then scatter the buttered breadcrumbs over cheese.
- Place under broiler for 8-10 minutes until bubbling and cheese and bread crumb toppings is browned. Watch and don’t let it burn.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.