1 tablespoon oil
2 8 oz ribeye steaks, at room temperature
1 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon brandy
2 tablespoons green peppercorns in brine, drained
(or 1 tablespoon black peppercorns crushed with a knife)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Taste #5 Umami Vegetarian Far Eastern Recipe paste
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Rub the steaks on both sides with olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place a frying pan or grill pan over high heat until smoking.
- Cook the steaks to you liking, turning only once.
- Remove steaks to a warmed plate.
- Reduce heat to low and add the butter, garlic and brandy – cooking for 1 minute. Whisk in the peppercorns, cream and umami paste.
- Simmer for another minute.
- Plate the steaks with french fries and watercress, pouring the sauce over the steaks.