5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups canned tomato puree
1 3/4 cups heavy cream or 1 14oz can coconut milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons Bomba XXX!
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon garam masala
3 caradamom pods, mashed with the back of a knife
8 curry leaves (optional)
4 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons tandoori paste or two teaspoons tandoori masala powder
Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium saucepan over low heat and sauté the onion and garlic 4 – 5 minutes, until softened. Do not brown.
- Melt the remaining butter into the saucepan and add the tomato puree, cream (or coconut milk if using), salt, Bomba paste, cayenne pepper, garam masala and cardamom pods. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Stir often while simmering for about 15 – 20 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Toss the cubed chicken with the vegetable oil, tandoori paste or powder
- Spread onto a baking tray and cook in the oven for about 12 minutes until meat is no longer pink in the center.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and stir into the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with the basmati rice.